(LOS ANGELES, March 17, 2008) – On St. Patrick’s Day, the Automobile Club of Southern California wants to remind motorists to stay safe on the road by being alert for drunken drivers and by planning ahead for alternative transportation instead of drinking and driving.
The Auto Club advises that motorists can keep themselves and others safe and can avoid DUI arrests by keeping these safety tips in mind:
- If you see a driver on the road who appears to be under the influence, stay as far behind his or her vehicle as possible. Do not pass the driver because you will limit your options for defensive driving maneuvers. As soon as it’s safe for you to do so, call 9-1-1 to report the driver to law enforcement.
- At a party, designate non-drinking drivers who can get everyone home safely.
- Call a friend of family member for a ride if you have been drinking.
- Keep a cab company telephone number in your wallet so you can call for a ride home.
- As a party host, offer a variety of non-alcoholic drink alternatives and provide a gift to guests who volunteer to be designated drivers.
- Take the car keys away from friends and relatives who have had too much to drink.
California DUI laws have been enhanced over the years to toughen penalties. The number of overall DUI crashes has declined over the past 25 years, but in recent years, the number of DUI crash deaths has increased.