Master certified automotive technicians from the Auto Club’s Approved Auto Repair Program will offer maintenance advice and under-the-hood demos for Auto Club members from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at each branch. The fairs also will feature new vehicle displays that include BMW, Honda, Mazda, Mercedes and Toyota vehicles from the Penske Automotive Group, AAA battery testing and information about the Auto Club’s Driving School. The event is designed to help the community to drive safely, save money on vehicle care and learn how to purchase a new or used vehicle at a significant discount through the Auto Club Car Buying Service.
The member events will be held at the Auto Club Escondido branch, 800 La Terraza Blvd., 92025 and at the Auto Club San Diego branch, 2440 Hotel Circle North. NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Sam Hornish’s Penske Racing No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger will be on display at the San Diego branch and a 1929 Ford Pan America Model A antique truck will be on display at the Escondido branch. The Model A was the first Ford to use the standard set of driver controls, with conventional clutch and brake pedals, throttle and gearshift. It was one of five specially-built vehicles used by the Auto Club in 1930 to survey routes linking the U.S. to Mexico and Central America.
“We’re pleased to showcase the expertise of the Auto Club and Penske Automotive Dealers to the San Diego area to promote safe and green driving,” said Dave Cavano, manager of the Auto Club’s Car Buying Service. “Well-running cars save on mechanical repairs, fuel consumption and reduce vehicle emissions to help keep the air clean. Plus buying a new or “new to you” car will help take advantage of some of the latest engine and transmission technology available on the market.”
The Auto Club will provide members with a booklet of AAA Approved Auto Repair facilities for car and truck repairs in San Diego County, and copies of the AAA brochure, “Your Driving Costs.” AAA Show Your Card & Save® participating businesses 24 Hour Fitness, Dunn-Edwards Paints, California Ravelco-An Anti-Theft Device and Sparkletts will be at each fair promoting valuable discounts available to members. In addition, ecowash mobile will participate at the Escondido branch and All Star Glass and Stanley Steemer will be at the San Diego branch.
The Auto Club offers all motorists the following car care tips:
- Read the vehicle owners manual and perform recommended periodic maintenance checks.
- Check the oil level each time a tank of fuel is purchased, or each month. Regular oil changes can reduce engine friction and make the engine last longer.
- Check the car’s air filter once a year, or more often in dusty conditions. A dirty air filter increases fuel consumption and contributes to air pollution.
- Inflate tires to recommended tire pressure. Under-inflated tires are a hazard and can cut fuel economy by as much as two percent per pound of pressure below the recommended level. Inspect tires for cuts and excessive tread wear.
- Inspect belts, hoses and clamps, making sure hoses are not cracked or spongy. If there is excessive wear, replace immediately.
- Ignition should be properly adjusted. Excessively fast idling wastes gasoline.