Automobile Club of Southern California members now can have added peace of mind when requesting roadside assistance from their smartphone with a new feature that tracks their arriving roadside assistance and displays it on a map in AAA’s free app.
When a member of the Auto Club and select other AAA clubs asks for roadside assistance via the AAA app or by calling (800) 400-4222, they now have the option of following their rescue vehicle on the app, or being sent a text message with a link showing a map tracking their assistance vehicle driving towards them. Later this year, Apple Watch users in select U.S. markets are also expected to gain access to the feature directly on their watch.
“The ‘Service Tracker’ feature is a tool our members can use to relieve anxiety about when help will arrive, which can be especially reassuring if they are alone, on the road at night, or on the side of a busy highway,” said Mike Johnson, the Auto Club’s senior vice president of member services. “It’s another way to provide peace of mind that help is on the way.”
Members also can continue to take advantage of the Auto Club’s roadside service text alerts, which notify them of an estimated arrival time for their assistance vehicle after they call for help. The average wait time for Auto Club roadside assistance is 21 minutes or less, but in rare situations such as bad weather, wait times can be longer.
“Service Tracker” is the latest new feature on the multipurpose AAA app, which is free to both members and non-members (some features like roadside assistance can be used only by members). The AAA app’s home screen automatically updates with the cheapest gas station price close to the user’s location and also provides instant access to:
- Digital membership card, also available in Passbook on Apple iOS devices
- Maps with turn-by-turn directions, a travel planner, AAA discount locations, nearby gas stations and prices, attraction locations, and the ability to book AAA-approved lodgings
- Roadside assistance requests
- Locations of the nearest AAA branches and AAA-Approved auto repair facilities
- AAA member account and insurance services management, including a proof of insurance “card” (with internet connection)
For more information and to download the app, available for both iOS and Android devices, visit AAA.com/mobile.