(LOS ANGELES, February 3, 2006) — Valentine's Day is just around the corner, barely giving shoppers a breather from December at the malls. For those strapped for ideas and cash, the Automobile Club of Southern California has some suggestions and discounts for romantic gifts available through its Show Your Card & Save® program for members.
"More than half of all Southern California households have an Auto Club membership, so these discounts are available to millions of Southland residents," said Wendy Sabins, vice president for member products and services. "Many members already know they can get deals on hotel rooms and travel by showing their Auto Club cards, but our discounts also cover items you use every day and on special occasions like Valentine's Day."
For complete details on all discounts available through Auto Club membership, members can visit aaa.com or a local Auto Club office to obtain the latest free MemberSaver® magazine, which lists event dates, participating retailers and special offers.
Here are just a few of the many helpful Valentine's Day and everyday discounts available through the Auto Club's Show Your Card & Save® program:
Get ready for the big night
- Dinner and a movie is a classic Valentine's Day celebration. For the best deal on movie tickets, make sure to plan ahead and visit aaa.com to purchase discount theater passes that can be used at all Regal, Edwards, United Artists and Signature theaters throughout Southern California. Champagne French Bakery Café, Chart House, Hard Rock Café and Joe's Crab Shack restaurants, to name just a few, also offer member discounts.
- In the mood for a romantic evening at home? Get what you need online by visiting aaa.com and clicking through to the target.com site to save 10 percent when you shop for romantic DVDs, music, candles, or clothes. (Discount is only available online to members through aaa.com).
- Before the big date, members can go to SuperCuts® locations throughout Southern California for a shampoo, cut and style and save 10 percent.
- To save on a romantic gift or a new outfit for your Valentine's Day celebration, show your card at the management office at any one of seven outlet malls throughout Southern California and you will receive a free discount coupon book. Outlet mall locations are in Barstow, Camarillo, Carlsbad, Commerce, Lake Elsinore, Cabazon (Palm Springs area), and Pismo Beach. Go to aaa.com for more details.
The basics: candy, flowers and romantic gifts
- Click through aaa.com to get a 20 percent discount at Giftsense.com, which ships Valentine's candy, flower arrangements, jewelry and other romantic gifts. Twenty percent discounts on flowers and gifts are also available from FTD.com when you go through aaa.com. You can also get 15 percent off Hickory Farms online purchases when you go through aaa.com.
- If you're a last-minute shopper, there's still time to save money. You can get a 15 percent discount on purchases of one-half pound or more of bulk candy from the Sweet Factory, with locations in shopping centers and malls throughout Southern California.
- What could be more romantic than learning to dance with your partner? Select Arthur Murray Studio locations in Southern California are offering a discount to Auto Club members on a nine-lesson package, for new students only. Call (714) 689-2222 for more information.
- Cruises and boat trips are popular with romantics the world over. Auto Club members get discount prices on Hornblower dinner cruises out of Marina Del Rey, Newport Beach and San Diego (310-301-9900); Sunset Kidd Sailing sunset cocktail cruises out of Santa Barbara (805-962-8222); guided kayaking tours off the Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo coasts (800-773-2309); gondola rides out of Newport Beach (949-646-2067) and Redondo Beach (310-376-6977); Catalina day trips out of Dana Point, Long Beach and San Pedro (800-896-4562); and whale watching trips out of Dana Point (949-488-2828) and Long Beach (714-536-9316). Visit aaa.com or your local Auto Club office for details.
- Try a Magical Adventures hot-air balloon ride out of Temecula in Riverside County or Del Mar in San Diego County, with a 20 percent member discount (866-365-6987). Choose from a sunrise trip with a champagne brunch and view of the vineyards and orchards of Temecula Valley, or a sunset ride and champagne toast overlooking the mansions and golf courses of Del Mar.
- Those who want entertainment with their meals will enjoy Auto Club discounts for several Southern California dinner theater performances: Mysteries en Brochette in Marina Del Rey (310-399-1507); "The Gourmet Detective" in Irvine (714-429-0099); and "Joey & Maria's Comedy Italian Wedding" and "The Sopranos' Last Supper" in Anaheim, Ontario, San Diego, or Studio City (800-944-5639).
The Automobile Club of Southern California, the largest affiliate of the AAA, has been serving members since 1900. Today, the Auto Club's members benefit by roadside assistance, insurance products and services, travel agency, financial products, automotive pricing and buying programs, automotive testing and analysis, trip planning services and highway and transportation safety programs. Information about these products and services is available on the Auto Club's Web site at www.aaa.com.